Sunday, June 6, 2010

Happy Anniversary to Us!

Some brides enjoy the hours before their wedding relaxing at the spa, getting a pedicure, or having a nice, dainty, girly, classy lunch.

However, as a girl who is uncomfortable with all things spa/pedicure/relaxing, I chose instead to spend the hours before my own wedding, exactly one year ago today, by insisting that my friends run an early morning (which was REALLY early for some of us who chose to have a little too much fun at the bar party the night before... but I won't name any names... like my Italian Stallion...)









... as I was saying, an early morning Big Day 5K with me around Georgia Tech's campus, having a post-race snack at Starbucks, playing the "Name That State Capital!" game (yes, I am a nerd), and then heading over to Moe's for an overstuffed burrito lunch.









And some brides relish in taking that first trip to the bridal salon, spending hours, if not days, weeks, or months pouring over bridal magazines, looking for that perfect dress, anticipating that magical moment in which she steps out of the dressing room, white-dress clad, and her female relatives cry since she looks so beautiful.

However, as someone who despises shopping (especially with, no offense, my mom), I took great pleasure in going to jcrew.com one afternoon and ordering the white version of the $99 dress that Rosalie had originally picked out to wear to my wedding. I told her she could wear the same one in a different color, but she decided against it and looked hot anyway.

Did I mention I wore flip flops? The whole time?



And some ladies enjoy obsessing over every detail of their "big day," retaining complete control over the planning of their nuptials. I, however, made a list of everything that needed to be accomplished by June 6. I handled the cake, playlist and hotel arrangements. Dave handled EVERYTHING else: invitations, food, transportation for our guests, venue arrangements, and anything else I wanted. It was the only way I could get married and finish a dissertation at the same time.

Even for a skeptic like myself, who thought there was no way I'd enjoy my wedding day as much as everyone/all the media messages said I should or would, and who had spent the past year of my life writing pretty critical pieces about the wedding industry as a whole, I loved it. It was one of the best days of my life. Our friends and family showed up, supported us, drank beer, ate barbecue, joined me in eating the cake right off the pedestal, and danced on the bar at the end of the night. Some of them even became Facebook friends. All of them were incredibly awesome and made the night unbelievable.

Today is a celebration not only of the super fun day we had on June 6, 2009, but also of our friends and family who have been super supportive of us ever since the beginning. As Christy said in her sermon, all of our friends had high hopes that we would work out in the end, and everyone has done some amount of work to see us make it happen. We are forever thankful for all of you for helping us make it!

To celebrate, we have a ritual that we decided upon at some point during our honeymoon. We:

ate barbecue from Dave Poe's BBQ, the restaurant that catered Team Dawmilam Beerfest/Wedding (that macaroni is amazing, primarily because it's drenched in butter... good thing I did a triathlon right before consuming this meal)

ordered a replica wedding cake from Gabriel's Desserts. Why freeze part of your cake when you can pay $20 and order a smaller, fresh version every year? No brainer to me.

and are going to consume a few SweetWaters this afternoon.




We exchanged presents, following the tradition of "paper" for the first anniversary:

I got... post-it notes (really, I LOVE getting post-its and office supplies) and super cute stationery! Can't wait to get it monogrammed!

I got Dave a vintage map of Hawaii. It's hard to buy a paper item for someone who doesn't really use paper, ever.

Happy Anniversary to us! Next update will be later this week from Panama City Beach for our summer vacation with Casey & Tommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment