Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Adventure Begins!

This time next week? We will be in Auckland, NZ.

View Larger Map

Zoom out on that bad boy and just look at where we'll be! That's in the southern hemisphere. Far far away. I think our flight is at least 16 hours long. I don't even want to talk about the time difference, as it makes my head hurt. All I know is that we leave ATL on Friday, March 12 at 2:30 pm. We have a layover in San Francisco from something like 2:30-7. And then we end up in Auckland at 5 am on Sunday, March 14. **pause and let that sink in.** Oh, and to make it worse (or maybe better)? Sunday is "spring forward" day here in the US. Confusing!

What are we going to do on the plane for that long? Well, that's a good question. Luckily, D is perfectly content to sit quietly and read. But, those of you who know me (LB) know that I have a hard time, well, sitting still. Ideally, I would love to take some of whatever Richard Alpert gave Juliet and other recruits when they were on the sub to the island. Remember that episode? (Season 3 Spoiler Alert!!)



When I was little, and we had a Gulf Shores trip coming up, I'd get out my bright red Hello Kitty suitcase and start packing (or at least start making a packing list) at least a week in advance. My 15-year-ago self would be appalled to know that I have not even wrapped my head around the fact that this time next week, I'll be halfway around the world, much less written a list of things to remember to bring OR started packing. I expect Thursday night will be somewhat crazy at Casa Dawmilam, what with me running around freaking out about the fact that (a) we have to check baggage (something I hate doing - well, okay I actually hate waiting on baggage at baggage claim - what if it NEVER COMES?!) and (b) what in the world does one bring with her/him on a trip to Auckland? What goes in carry-on versus checked baggage? Did I remember my passport? Do we have our folder with all pertinent information with us? Do we have enough cables/power cords? Where are my running shoes? Did I mention I'm slightly neurotic about traveling sometimes? :)

Either way. We are pumped about our spring break trip. And we are excited to spend time with D's aunt Elaine and uncle Mike. They are super cool. Elaine is from New Zealand. She reminds me *so* much of my aunt Debbie. There is no comparison point for Uncle Mike in my family; but I feel like if you look up the word "adventure" in the dictionary you might see his picture next to it. We don't have anything planned, much like our trip to Hawaii. We're instead going to just "show up," get over our jet lag, and see what's up in Auckland.

I plan on writing updates here to keep y'all back home posted on what we're doing. Hopefully there will be lots of pictures and stories and adventures to share! Feel free to comment and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment